Do You Need a VPN Router? Pros and Cons
Use of VPN routers is no idle topic nowadays. The answer partially depends on whether you already have VPN on your devices. If you don’t own one, then the answer is “yes, you definitely need a VPN router!” Governments tightening surveillance of their citizens, ISP’s getting allowed to legally sell users’ browsing history to third parties, corporations exchanging clients’ data to build comprehensive behavioral profiles on millions of people… Let’s put it simple – in a modern world, it’s highly reckless to neglect the importance of a VPN.
Now, whether you need a VPN router if you already use VPN on some of your devices – this is a less self-explanatory question. After all, why would you want upcharge for identical products, right? So, let’s dig into this to see what additional benefits do VPN routers provide and if they are worth their price.
Advantages of VPN routers
- One of the most obvious benefits of a VPN router is an ability to protect any amount of devices. This is especially handy since VPN service providers limit the amount of devices that can be associated with a single subscription. So if you need to protect more – you will either have to buy additional device slots or upgrade the subscription. OR, you can simply setup a VPN router (which will only take a single device slot), and then connect the desired amount of gadgets to it. PROFIT!
- Another huge advantage of a VPN router is the fact that it protects every kind of gadget connected to it. In modern houses, there are smart TV’s, game consoles, activity trackers, e-readers, etc. Obviously, these devices are completely non-native to most VPN services. This fact effectively turns them into comprehensive sources of your everyday information that are completely unsecured against any interested third parties. Well, not anymore! VPN routers encrypt all of your traffic, no matter where it comes from, be it from your car or a fridge.
- Now, to more subtle perks. Since you only need a router imbued with a VPN, you will be relieved from the burden of setting up a VPN on each one of your devices. This can be huge if you have to work with many gadgets on an everyday basis.
- From this comes another benefit. With a VPN router, you can grant protection to your employees and clients. This is great for business and will notably benefit your relations with them. After all, when people feel safe, they are in a better mood for cooperation.
- Finally, you won’t have to worry if your VPN is on or not – it will always be. This might seem minor, but think about it. All of your internet security measures risk to go down the drain every time that you forget to turn your defenses on. By the way, this is exactly what always bothers corporate IT security – not the lack of precautions, but an everyday mishandling of them. We suggest you follow their example.
Disadvantages of VPN routers
- VPN routers can be trickier to setup than VPN apps. Most often, it will take you a call to a VPN provider’s customer service and a bit of delving through the router’s settings. But this is certainly no rocket science, and usually takes up to ten minutes.
- Some VPN providers do not grant their users VPN router settings. This can be the case for various reasons, e.g. the quality of their service isn’t high enough to work with a router. Luckily, our own VPN Unlimited is fully compatible with routers, and our customer support provides all the required settings upon demand.
- VPN connection is supported by a limited amount of routers. So if your old router doesn’t work with VPN, you might need to buy a new one. We recommend Flashrouters, as they have a nice variety of devices and some handy customizable options.
So, with all the pros and cons in mind, will a VPN router compliment your VPN app all right? Well, there is no such thing as too much security, so VPN router is a solid bargain anyway. Ability to protect all of your gadgets is nothing to contemn. But, if you already have a VPN installed on your devices and have no plans of changing your router, then VPN routers can probably wait.
And if you’re looking for a great VPN app while you’re not sure about buying a router, VPN Unlimited is your ultimate solution. Don’t believe it? Download the app to get a 7 day free trial (no CC required) and see for yourself!